Dear Parkette Pals,
We apologize for the brief disruption to our bi-weekly newsletter service but we've been working hard behind the scenes to get our brick-and-mortar location up and running, and we're happy to announce we'll be open for business at 539 Barton St. E this Saturday, October 22nd!
We're hoping to hop back on the newsletter bandwagon from here on but we just wanted you to be the first to know that our grand opening is this Saturday. We hope you can come visit in person ❤️
We'll be announcing a few fun pop-ups that we'll be hosting in the coming weeks, so keep your eyes peeled for that. As usual, you'll hear about it on the newsletter first.
If you're in the neighbourhood, do pop in to say hello. Our hours of operation will be Wednesdays to Saturdays from 10 AM to 5 PM and Sundays from 11 AM to 4 PM. We're looking forward to finally meeting everyone in person :)
And to cap off this edition of the newsletter, we thought we'd share 5 podcasts for kids that are in high rotation on our podcast app:
1. Circle Round: created and produced by parents of young children, WBUR’s Circle Round adapts carefully-selected folktales from around the world into sound- and music-rich radio plays for kids ages 4 to 10.
2. Terrestrials: Terrestrials is a show for people of all ages that explores the strangeness that exists right here on Earth. In each episode, host Lulu Miller introduces listeners to a creature or earthly phenomenon that will defy their expectations of how nature is supposed to work. Along the way, you’ll encounter a chorus of experts, including scientists, surfers, hip hop artists and…a “Songbud” named Alan (indie punk musician Alan Goffinski) who creates original songs for key moments of confusion, discovery or awe.
3. Story Shed: Story Shed is a storytelling podcast for kids of all ages. A new and original story is presented each episode, designed to encourage discussion. A family-friendly podcast which can be used for school assemblies, car journeys, bedtime, or anytime. A hit especially with 4-6 year olds!
4. Anytime Now: A history podcast for kids exploring the tales they won’t find in their school textbooks. From daring escapes to ingenious inventions, Anytime Now transports kids back in time with the incredible sounds and stories of the past. Brought to you by Honest History Magazine (you can find them in the shop!), episodes are narrated by historians, creators, lawyers, explorers, entertainers, and educators who love history. These are the stories of real events and real people. In true Honest History fashion, this podcast encourages kids to dive deep into each story, inspiring them to create a positive impact on history themselves.
5. The Ghost of Jessica Majors: Jessica Majors is 11 years old — or 154 if you include all the years she’s been dead. After Jessica’s mysterious death in 1875, she returns as a ghost in 2017 to find a world much different than the one she left behind. With the help of her 11-year-old descendent Luke, and his soon-to-be step-sister Dahlia, she must confront the supernatural forces threatening the quaint town of Curiosity, Maine. Webby Award Honoree for “Best Series” in Podcast & Digital Audio.
See you soon, Parkette Pals!
- Maria and the Parkette team